Friday, February 24, 2012

Grit

Today I'm joining my friend The Gypsy Mama for five minutes where I'll write without editing, backtracking, or second guessing. Writing because it brings me joy. Five minutes to share, to unite, to process our hearts. Just five minutes.
Ready...Set...Go!

GO
Grit is defined as “perseverance and passion for long-term goals.” When compared with the construct of persistence, Grit adds a component of passion for the goal.(Good old Wikipedia)

Yesterday being the first day of Lent, I was scaffolding in my mind the various "things" I do in my work and church life. The roles I assume everywhere.The list was quite long. I wasn't analyzing to remove or take a step back from anything that I do, but to actually assess the God given passion in all of these. Am I doing it because someone has to and I do it best or am I responding to God's calling? To my grit perseverance am I adding that passion for the goal? I saw that I did lose it somewhere along the way. I did lose that time in His presence because, you know, "I HAVE TO PREPARE FOR EVERYTHING..."What I did was "prepared outside His presence, rather than in His presence and at His feet".

I pray, as I submit everything He has given me in His calling, back to Him. He can purify it, and I can start fresh in His presence.

An image that did come to my mind as I thought about Lisa Jo's word for this Friday.. was how when a worker sieves the sand and gravel, the grit... the heavier, larger one, takes longer to fall through the tiny netted gaps... holding on as long as they can, irrespective to the wild shakings around them. I want to be that grit. Not shaken,but holding fast onto the net of His protection around me.

STOP

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I often find myself doing things not for HIM but because I have to. May God bless you in your work for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Gypsy Mama's blog.


    Great image of being a stubborn piece of grit not going through the sieve.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think.