Thursday, November 17, 2011

Garments of Praise and Prayer

As I wore my gloves before leaving the house, I remembered something beautiful about these gloves. I bought these stripped ones because my best friend Lingwei loves anything stripped. So each time I wear them, I remember her and say a prayer for her and thank God for her in my life. So even though she moved from the Netherlands to Boston, memories of our weekends together drinking wine and going crazy over a stationary/arts and craft store, comes back, bringing a smile to my face.

I realized, as I was driving back home that I have few of these things that remind me of someone and a floodgate of memories rush in.

Every time I use Wim's chilly from his garden, I remember what a wonderful man he was, and how much his family misses him. A moment to thank God for his life here on earth and the legacy he has left behind.

Every time I wear a bracelet gift from another best friend, Blessy, I am reminded of our times together eating real spicy fish curry and watching Oprah! A moment to thank God for best friends like her. Even though we live in two different parts of the world we are able to pick up and connect no matter how long it has been since we chatted.

Every time I read my Bible, I come across an almost yellow, 10 years or more, old piece of paper with verses written on it, given to me by yet another best friend, Monica before we went in for our final university exams. A moment to thank God for her friendship and how the prayers of her mother and her, that kept me from falling! We had terrible issues with writing really long sentences for our research paper! I still do this Moni!


Are you wearing something,or come across something that reminds you of those precious people that God placed in your life? Take a moment to thank God for them and pray for them.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny you mention the Bible verses...I have the same 10 year old ones you gave me to encourage me at so many points in my life...What a blessing you are Manju! The best part is...even after all these years, I still unfailingly go over them before my exams...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay :) I'm happy to read this. You have a gift of loving people, Manju.
    Btw, here's a (silly) picture of me wearing the purple shawl you gave me before I left. (And there are other pictures there of Christine's visit)
    PS: I hope there are stationary stores in heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I have a bracelet that I wear that reminds me of a certain time {and so inherently certain people} in my life. But what a good idea that to find things like that that would specifically remind me a certain people so that I could think of them and pray for them when using them.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think.