Thursday, October 4, 2012

The welcoming gift

Every Friday, the word is released. It appears on our screen, as we wait for the word, welcoming it to hook on to our hearts and mind. I usually ponder over it throughout out the day and finally write it at the end of the day, or even sometimes Saturday. Today I awoke at 6 am , because I wanted to know what that word was. And swore I would write my 5 minutes worth as soon as I saw it. No pondering, no thinking, no editing, no back spacing , no tracing back and reading it a million times to check the sentence structure... Five minutes of pure unstoppable pouring.
 Welcome to this weeks Five minute Friday....

Welcome

GO

Those with open hearts usually have an open house. My first experience was when I was doing my Masters. And I entered the open doors of one of our campus churches. I knew quite a few from back home. Acquaintances were  renewed. This couple invited me with open arms into the service 9 years ago.The church was very welcoming. But their home(the couple's), was an open house for students to come in. A place to relax, a place to pour out burdens and struggles, a place to savor her wonderful cooking when one was homesick. Some of us even slept there. When one was sick, we went there and she would care for us. Sometimes, because of exhaustion we slept  in their room. Her poor husband would sleep on the couch.

Some who received more would trample on their love and guidance, some betrayed their trust, some left and never kept in touch. 

But they still continued to pray, guide and love us. They couldn't keep the hurt long enough. That wasn't how they were built. They were built to welcome and care, and give. Their arms were meant for hugging and caring.

They have been spiritual mentors for many. Many still keep in touch. Many still call for guidance. Many have learned to care for others through them. They helped many to recognize their purpose and their gifting. They helped guide many, when it was time to decide on a life partner.

Five minutes isn't enough to pour out here on what they mean to us, what they meant to me.

Their open house, set my heart right with God. Their open arms taught me the true meaning of the open arms nailed to that cross. 

They welcomed us in to their home and into their heart.

Jerry and Blessy, I love you guys and its been an honor to know you. 

STOP

(We meet every year when I am in India, and we call, on and off. She usually starts off,blasting me for not calling sooner, and then just begins to pour out her love.)

3 comments:

  1. So wonderful! I've known people like that, who are caring and loving and giving... so wonderful to be able to give back love and appreciation... keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello neighbor from the 5 Minute Friday! I too have people like this in my life. They are the ones I could sit and talk with for hours. Their homes are full of peace and the joy of the Lord. Beautiful write up today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Manju, reading this has made my insides go all mushy. I miss them dearly and share in your love for them! Through their lives I've seen and tasted the goodness our God. this article has really touched me.thank you for reminding me of this welcome.take care

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think.